Birgit Naomi Glatzel
The freelance concept artist and architect Birgit Naomi Glatzel was born in Kempten/Allgäu, Germany, in 1970. Already during her architectural studies she began an intensive occupation with painting and photography. Her first solo exhibit took place in Würzburg in 1991.
The artist has worked predominately in the area of photography since 1998. She started the photo project “a friend is a friend of a friend” in the Summer of that year. At that time she was having intense thoughts about starting fresh in life. “What if” she were to suddenly move to Mexico City for example or to live somewhere else… what would happen if she were to meet a certain person and then a friend, a friend of a friend etc. It was this curiosity of the artist that drove her to this project.
After she had taken photographs of friends in Germany, Paris and New York the project took off running. She traveled around the world to meet friends and friends of friends, to spend time with total strangers in order to gain brief insight into their lives. Each meeting was a sort of “blind date”. For her, it was about the intensity of the moment which she captured with her camera.
Other projects followed such as “Ideal City” (since 2003) and the photography project “You and Me” (since 2007) which a continually developing just like her video project “Going to Jerusalem” (2005), “Umtauschbriefe meines Vaters” Exchanged Letters from my Father (part 1 of the father trilogy), “sports sound” (2005) and others.
Currently Birgit Naomi is working on a mutual project in cooperation with Marianne Sonneck Ramsay from the artist collective “clubreal” titled “Postkarte Baum” Postcard Tree.
The book “A friend is a friend of a friend” will be presented at the Shanghai Book Festival in March of 2017.
The artist lives and works in Berlin.
Further information and projects can be found at: www.birgitglatzel.de
- 2016 The video project “Going to Jerusalem” and a photograph from the project “You and Me” are presented in the “art vending machines” at the Jewish Museum, Berlin
- 2014 “a friend is a friend of a friend”, “Pinter and Milch” gallery, Berlin
- 2011-2013 Participation with the exhibit of the photo group ParisBerlin fotogroup “Cadavre Exquis 2” in Toulouse, Paris, Arles and Berlin
- 2010 Participation with the exhibit of the photo group ParisBerlin fotogroup “Cadavre Exquis 1”, Stuttgart and Berlin
- 2008 Photography exhibit “german + israeli = love” in the group exhibit “Urban Dialogs Berlin-Tel Aviv”, Free University of Berlin, Berlin
- 2008 Photography exhibit “Dy Daino” in the group exhibit “Personal Space / Public Views”, Yaker Gallery, Jerusalem
- 2006-2007 Video Installation „the same procedure as every year, New Year’s Eve 1971 until 2005” (part 2 of the father trilogy), Club Transmediale, Berlin
- 2007 Video project “Going to Jerusalem” is shown as a part of the exhibit „Videoland” at Artneuland, Berlin
- 2006 „Umtauschbriefe meines Vaters von 1972 bis 1986” my father’s exchange letters from 1972 to 1986 (part 1 of the father trilogy), General Public gallery, Berlin
- 2006 Life without weekend – CTM at PAKT Photography exhibit from Portraits in P/////AKT, platform beeldende kunst platform for visual art, Amsterdam
- 2006 “Ideal City” at the cultural exchange project PRUIG (Poland, Russia, Ukraine, Israel and Germany), Kiev, Ukraine
- 2005 “Yafo 2015” themed “Dislocated Landscape”, Yaker Gallery, Jerusalem, Israel
- 2005 Video project “Jerusalem’s Day Off” themed “Land(e)scaping”, Agripas Gallery 12, Jerusalem
- 2005 “a friend is a friend of a friend”, Fortune Street Gallery, London, UK
- 2004 “a friend is a friend of a friend” and “Ideal City”, ifa gallery, Berlin
- 2004 Project group “urban-shift.net” shows its work under “Neuland” in the Israeli pavilion at the 9th Architecture Biennial, Venice, Italy
- 2003 „a friend is a friend of a friend“ in The Israeli Centre for Digital Art, Digital ArtLab, Holon, Israel
- 2003 “Ideal City” at the Biennial of Tirana, Albania
- 2002 “a friend is a friend of a friend”, Aroma Gallery, Berlin
- 1996 Painting exhibit “Über Frederik” About Frederick, “Tools & Gallery”, Berlin
- 1992 Photograph exhibit “sans papier”, “rue marque” gallery, Brussels, Belgium
- 1992 Compilation of the picture series “Karton A2“, Paris, France
- 1991 Group exhibit “Osteuropa” East Europe, Champinsky Gallery, Würzburg
- 1991 Solo exhibit of the painting “Moment”, Champinsky Gallery, Würzburg